Monday, May 11, 2009

I am a Creature of Habit and Routine...

I am a creature of habit and routine. Over the years, I have fought against this, trying to be more spontaneous, trying to embrace alternatives to the usual but, over the years, I have learned that nothing can be done about it: I know what I like, I know when I like to do it and it takes me a while to get used to something new.

There have been times when a change in my planned routine is welcome. Usually it's on a day that I've planned to be productive and someone says "let's go see a movie" and I say "Ok!". Sadly, this is the highlight of my spontenaity, no matter how hard I try.

Take for example today. It's Monday. It is my routine on Mondays to make myself get out of bed after a night of not sleeping well. I never sleep well on Sunday nights. It's a throwback to those Sunday evenings when I was in school when I'd have homework to do, bullies to avoid, the chance of getting anything less than an 'A' in a class. I would sleep badly then, dreading the beginning of the week. Nowadays, I don't have that sense of dread but I still sleep restlessly, lamenting the end of the weekend. On Mondays, when I do get up, I have a mini-rationalization session with myself as to why I HAVE to go to work today, even though the thought of sleeping more or doing nothing all day appeals. Then, when I finally get up, it takes me a while to actually wake up. I never have the energy to make coffee on Monday mornings, choosing instead to drink the vile office coffee when I finally make it to work.

This Monday morning was exactly the same, even though I tried to make it different. I woke up twice in the night, one time because it began raining hard, the other just because I couldn't sleep. I had the usual "I don't want to go to work today debate with myself." I lost. I'm at work. Again...I am a creature of habit.

So, here I sit on this Monday morning. It's gloomy and grey outside but the sun is attempting to come out and I think as the day passes, it will brighten up. It's quiet driving through town today; the students at the university have all left for the summer and the usual joggers, early morning-class goes who stumble to the bus stop and students who wander into the street without looking because they're too busy texting as they walk to actually notice what's going on them are absent. It's very peaceful and nice out there. I loved working on USC's campus; during the summer, the pace slowed and though work still had to be done, the pressure was less.

That's not the case with this job since I no longer work for a university but I do think living in a college town will be similar. I'm supposed to go out with coworkers tonight to see "Star Trek" and have dinner. Having dinner will be a pleasure because only the 'townies' will be around and the aura of calm will have already infiltrated the town. Actually, I will say, that for me, I am being spontaneous tonight, normally I spend Monday evenings watching House and 24 and making something nutritious and good for dinner. I'm not worried. I use Hulu.com for all my television needs now when I miss an episode. (Thank you, Hulu for making it easier for me to be a creature of habit and not miss an episode of my shows).

Yet even with the newfound calm of this little town, it's still a Monday. It would be a monotonous day except that I'm currently listening to the new Green Day album which is not available for sale until Friday but which the band has generously provided a way to listen to it online. Of course, this does mean that there are ways to get the album ahead of time and listen to it on one's iPod. Which I would never do because I am a good Captain Monkeypants.

Whatever. I have to snicker at that because I'm listening to it on my iPod even now. Yes, some would call it theft. Others, like me, would call it an emergency. What do they expect? You do NOT tease a Monkeypants like me with great songs like "21st Century Breakdown" and "The Static Age" and make me wait a week. Besides, I've already pre-ordered the CD so I'm going to purchase it when it does officially get released. This is probably rationalization but I'm a firm believer in paying for good music and so I will. I just don't think it's nice to be mean and taunt us with the good stuff and then say "you can't have it for another week."

I'm a huge Green Day fan. I think I've mentioned that. They're a band that I've loved for many years. They inspired an entire novel with their last album. Listening to this new one? I'm already getting ideas. It's different from American Idiot in many ways. It's older, wiser, less rebellious but still inherantly Green Day. I haven't quite figured out the story yet because I haven't listened to it enough but when you hear a song like "The Static Age" and you get a happy thrill in the pit of your stomach because you know you've just fallen in love with a song on first listen...you know it's good.

I love Green Day because they know how to reach everyone. They have enough angst and anthems to keep getting young rebels interested in their music for the first time but they have enough experience and wisdom to be able to give those of us that have followed them for a while a new version of who they are. It works for them. I can't say this album, 21st Century Breakdown is better than American Idiot because I just don't know. At the moment, I'd say not because it's hard to replace your favourite album of all time with something else, even by the same band and, as aforementioned, I am a creature of habit and routine. However, who knows, after a few listens, I may change my mind. I'm open to the possibility.

So, though in many ways, it's a typical Monday, I'm trying to make it different. Not so different that I feel like the universe is out-of-whack but different enough that I don't look at it like it's Monday, the enemy to my weekend freedom, the mantle of having to be responsible and productive wearing heavy on my shoulders. Unfortunately, there are some things that you just can't change though and even with great music, it's still a Monday. I shall go forth into the day, armed with my Green Day and ready to work hard. I'll also try to talk myself out of going home and trying to figure out how to set my DVR to record my TV shows with my HD converter box just so I can watch 24 on the night it airs. I keep telling myself that's what Hulu.com is for but old habits die hard. Especially when you're me.

Happy Monday.

No comments:

StatCounter