Monday, May 4, 2009

Runaway Cows and Wolverines....

My weekend went too quickly. I know time doesn't move quicker on the weekends but it does feel as though, on Friday evenings, time passes by a little more quickly than it does on weekdays. It's a strange phenomenon. I mean, take the same time period...Monday through Wednesday, perhaps. Time moves far slower on these days than it does on weekends. It does pick up the pace a little after Wednesday but it's only on weekends that it moves at warp speed.

I had a nice weekend though. I got to hang out with a good friend. We went to see "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". I have to say, I enjoyed it a lot. It was much better than the last two "X-Men" films and it kept me interested. When I plan on seeing a movie like that, I have a tradition of refusing to read the review of it in Entertainment Weekly until afterwards. For some reason, EW always gives those reviews to Lisa Schwarzbaum who, in my opinion, is just a horrible reviewer. Lisa is a movie snob which means she really shouldn't be reviewing movies for a pop culture magazine but, maybe instead, for something like The New Yorker where people tend to be a little more highbrow.

On occasion, Ms. Schwartzbaum will like a blockbuster-type movie. This is very rare. She usually hates them, picks them apart layer by layer using rather large words but, in the end, basically says nothing of any significance. For "Wolverine", she complained of the fact that the hero, obviously Wolverine, had too much of an agonizing backstory. She seemed to want to know why heroes always had such long drawn out stories whereas the villains, like The Joker in Batman, just are...villains. That's a pretty daft thing to say, really. One of the things I've been enjoying in the recent comic book/graphic novel adaptations are the layers and personalities given to the heroes. It used to be that Superman would show up, save the day and fly off again. Spiderman used to swing from buildings, saving the weak. Nowadays, we get to find out why they do it.

Personally, I love getting to discover the motivations and reasons behind a hero's need to...be a hero. I now know why Wolverine is who he is. I needed to know that. Otherwise, he's just a man with adamantium claws who has a bad temper. For the same reason, I loved "Iron Man". Tony Stark is a man with a past who realizes that everything he's worked for is wrong and to remedy that, he becomes Iron Man. Yet, like Wolverine, he's flawed. Me...I love a flawed hero. It makes them so much more interesting. I used to think villains are more interesting than the hero: look at Lex Luthor, for example. Nowadays though, I care more about the heroes because they actually are human. There's a lot to be said for that.

I actually didn't intend to blog about the movie for so long. Sorry about that. Aside from the movie-going and working in the garden with my mother, it was a pretty quiet weekend which was very welcome. On the way home from my parents, I didn't see any Amish on Rollerblades this week. However, I did see an escaped cow. For some reason, I found this positivity delightful. Maybe it was the joyous way the cow was trotting away from the pen from which it had previously been imprisoned. Maybe it was the fact that I watched that cow stop and seemingly taunt the other cows who were still trapped behind the fence. It was almost a visible "look at me, I'm free! You're all trapped- na na na nah nah."

That cow made me laugh very hard. I hope he's ok. I'm sure he was rounded up. I did worry for a moment that he'd get hit by a car but then I realized that it'd probably be the car that would be in trouble. It was a big cow. Also, it wasn't exactly moving at the speed of light, more of an ambling trot of exploration. I love cows. I always shout hello to them when I'm driving by a field full of them. It seems the right thing to do.

When I got home from my parents, I noticed that my CEO's boyfriend was out in the field behind my apartment complex, walking the dog. I checked to make sure my door was locked. Three times. He did not visit me. However, he and his partner certainly had an active evening. It is rather difficult to focus on watching "Iron Chef" episodes when your ceiling sounds like it might cave in. I perservered. So did they. A couple of times. Me, I watched Bobbie Flay eke out a narrow victory and I called it a night. It was a good weekend. I hope yours was too.

Happy Monday.

No comments:

StatCounter