Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dear Weather: Please Cool Down!

Last night, the weather reports said that today was likely to be the hottest day of the year so far. When I got up, my house was warm but not hot. Outside, at 6:10 a.m., it was already 72 degrees.
When I came home for lunch, I noticed that the house was beyond warm...it was hot. My air conditioning unit sounded like it was still running. Upon investigation, however, I discovered that, naturally, on the hottest day of the year so far, my outside air conditioning had stopped working. After some research on the internet this afternoon at work, I found out a few things I could try on the off-chance it was something minor.

So, when I got home, I checked to see if the circuit had tripped. Alas, it hadn't. I checked the circuit on the air conditioner itself. I don't think it's tripped. Since the furnace was still blowing the air out, it was easy to narrow down that it was the air-conditioning unit. So, realizing I probably had a big problem, I did the best thing I could think of at the time.

I called my dad.

My dad is rather good at telling me what he thinks is the problem. In this case, he was certain that my air conditioner was out of Freon and needed to be recharged. This would warrant a call to an air conditioning repair company. So, I hung up and made an appointment for tomorrow.

In the meantime, my house is nothing short of hot. My thermostat only goes up to 85 degrees and the needle is on the very edge of that. The puppies are panting and I am sweating. I made an emergency trip to Lowes to buy a couple of fans but even though they're in the window, there's really only warm air to blow around since it's just as hot outside.

Still, for a while there, it looked like we were going to have a storm and so I sat outside with the puppies. The wind started to blow and a heavenly breeze started up. I cooled down, hoping this would be a storm to cool the world down.

The storm, alas, did blow over. I took a cold shower but I'm still hot. I keep giving the puppies ice to chew but they're still hot. I think unless we have a lovely cooling storm, it's going to be a hot, sticky night in the Monkeypants household.

To top it all off, the puppies are getting spayed tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about this even though I had a neurotic-pet-parent consult with the vet last week and she assured me it would be a routine procedure and she'd take care of my puppies. I get to drop them off before work and pick them up afterwards. I'm hoping they'll be fine but since I'm neurotic and a worrier to begin with, the worst case scenerios keep popping into my mind.

I was hoping to have a nice relaxing evening with them but it's a little hard to relax when the mere act of sitting still and doing very little makes you sweaty. Hopefully when night falls, the air will cool and it would gently waft into the living room with the aid of two box fans.

Still, it's one of the side effects of being a homeowner, I suppose. It's been an expensive couple of months what with ceiling fans needing to be replaced, leaking faucets that lead to new sinks and now having to call the air conditioning repair people. But, into every life a little rain must fall although in Sookie, Rory and my case, no literal rain is falling and I rather wish it would. Instead, a watery sun is attempting to come out which is causing more heat on top of the already baking world.

Nevertheless, tomorrow is Friday. Hopefully, the AC will be fixed by tomorrow and the puppies can rest in a cool house after what I'm sure isn't going to be a pleasant day. If not, well, we'll just continue to sweat and hope that Mr. Fox 19 Stormtracker Weather is right when he says it will cool down.

Wish us luck!

Happy Friday, have a great weekend and stay cool!

No comments:

StatCounter