Sunday, August 1, 2010

Attack of Crocodog!

Have you ever noticed how when you plan a relaxing weekend, the opposite usually happens?

Case in point- I took Friday off because I had a doctor's appointment so I thought I'd just treat myself to the rest of the day off to relax, possibly see a movie and just enjoy the fact that I didn't have to work.

Naturally, that's when the brakes on my car decided to make a rather scary, grinding sound that sounded like I had some angry creature living under my car whenever I braked.

Thus, my Friday was spent partially at the doctors and partially sitting, patiently, waiting for my brakes to be fixed. This was not what I had in mind when I decided to take the day off.

So, I thought, I'd make up for it on Saturday. I'd sleep in, be lazy and just run menial errands that didn't take up much time. I might even see a movie.

Unfortunately, the sleeping in part didn't happen. You see, I have puppies.

One of my puppies- Sookie Sue Stackhouse- is a sweet little dog that likes to sleep. She can be stubborn and moody but mostly, she's very sweet and often cuddly which is why I sometimes call her 'teddy bear dog.'

And then there's Rory Wrigglebottom Gilmore. She's also a sweet dog. She's a tad naughty, a little jealous but extremely loving. She's also, uh, very active.

On Saturday morning, I woke up at 5 a.m. Rory was wriggling a little so I thought I'd be clever. You see, we get up on weekdays around 6:03 a.m. The puppies are used to this so, even on weekends, their little bladders decide they need to go out no later than 6:03 a.m. On this particular Saturday, waking up at 5 a.m., I thought, "hey- if I let the puppies outside now, then we can come back to bed and sleep in."

This ploy has worked before. Not this Saturday, however. The puppies did go out at 5 am. They came in at 5:10 a.m. We went back to bed. Sookie snuggled next to me and promptly tried to sleep.

Rory did not. She began to do what she does best- and honoured her name- she began to wriggle.

In her defense, she tried to sleep. She laid down. Then she moved to get comfortable elsewhere on the bed. You could almost hear her sighing as she attempted to be still. Then she wriggled.

Needless to say, by 6 a.m. She had given up on sleep. She had decided that biting my toes might be preferable.

I tried to calm her down but, alas, this did not happen. I got up and got her a chew stick. She chewed it and then got bored.

You might wonder why I didn't put her on the floor. Well, I did, eventually. She went into the living room and began to play with her loudest squeaky toy. Meanwhile, Sookie and are are trying to sleep. It was about 6:20 a.m. by this time.

I managed to doze off. I think Sookie did too. Then, without warning, I felt this enormous weight on my head and it was quite wet. Somehow, Rory had jumped up on my rather high bed. She'd never done this before. She was sitting on my head, licking me. As soon as I opened my eyes, she began to try to bite my ears. Sookie grumbled. I did too.

Rory tried to sleep again. I was quite pleased with her. That, however, lasted about five minutes. Rory discovered a new game then. I call it Crocodog.

What is crocodog, you might ask? Well, it's when Rory gets under the covers and they mound up over her and she slowly moves across the bed when, suddenly, she's underneath her sister and you hear an "UNK!"

It's not like unlike a crocodile, moving slowly across a swamp, only the mound of its back visible, sneaking up on its prey and then...SNAP!

Hence the name crocodog.

Rory "unk"ed Sookie. Then she tried to "Unk" me. She then proceeded to go after my toes again. That hurt.

Needless to say, while I was tired and wanting to sleep, I was also laughing. Rory makes for an amusing Crocodog and while I wanted to be cross with her, when she finally emerged from the covers, her face resting only inches from mine, looking at me with those big brown eyes, I couldn't be angry.

I ended up getting up and having an early start to the day.

The rest of the weekend wasn't so bad. It just wasn't as relaxing as I'd hoped. I think my problem is that I have so many friends and coworkers who are going on these exotic vacations that I'm a little envious. Even when the vacations aren't so exotic, I'm a little envious. I'd love to just get away but, alas, being a new homeowner/puppy owner means that I can't really afford it and I don't have the time anyway.

Still, in the end, I was allowed to sleep in on Sunday which made things better. I think Rory might have been a little tired. After all, I did keep waking her up on Saturday night when she tried to sleep with a squeaky toy. Yes, it was a little mean but it was fun. Also, it meant we slept in until 9 a.m. without enduring a Crocodog attack.

Sometimes you just have to do...what you have to do.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

StatCounter