Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lazy, Hazy Summer Weekend Days

The weekend is almost done and, once again, I'm not sure how that happened. As often is the case, I don't think I was particularly busy but it certainly seemed like I had to be doing something to be passing the time.

When I look back, it seems like it was just Friday night and I was getting ready to meet a coworker/friend at the movies to see Inception. I've been wanting to see that film for a long time and so when I got the IM at work on Friday asking if I was busy and would I want to see the movie, I jumped at the chance.

It's been nice at work, lately. I've been getting to know some of my coworkers in a non-work capacity and it's been nice. This coworker is recently married and has just moved to the area. She finds that when she goes out with her husband and his friends, she's the only female so she asked me along to even out the numbers. It turned out to be a fun evening. The film was...good. It was a little stressful because even if you think you know what's going to happen, you can't be quite sure. It was a good experience even if you do leave the theatre not quite sure what just happened but knowing that something did happen and it was quite good.

Of course, the problem I have when I got out after work is the puppies. It means that I have to leave them alone again after I've been at work all day. Most of the time, I don't go out after work because I feel like I should be home but every so often, I do go out and, of course, I end up feeling a little guilty about it.

The puppies turned out to be fine, of course. They were a little mad at me but a few tummy rubs and cuddles later and they were fine.

Besides, I spent most of the rest of the weekend with them. I did take a trip to the Habitat for Humanity Re-store in my area. I've seen it advertised and thought I'd check it out. What a fabulous place. They sell leftover materials from Habitat for Humanity projects and it's super cheap. While I didn't buy anything major, I took note that it's a place to go the next time I need something like a sink or a refrigerator. It was fun. I also stopped at the thrift store nearby and scored- I found an almost-new ice-cream maker for only $4.99! I was happy. Ok, so I haven't used it yet. Also, it doesn't have an instruction manual. However, at the moment it seems like a bargain and I'm quite content to leave it that way for now. I don't have to ruin that contentment by using it yet, right?

As for the rest of my Saturday, I did some cleaning and then indulged my desire to be lazy by reading, The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. Normally, I stay away from books that are over-hyped because I'm usually disappointed. However, this time around, I have to agree that Larsson's Millenium Trilogy is an amazing read. It has to be. I read the book in less than 24 hours and these days, I don't read nearly that much anymore, much to my disappointment.

You'll also be happy to know that Crocodog returned. She started on Saturday morning by burrowing under the bedcovers and "Unk"-ing both me and Sookie. We got up at 7:30 a.m. because Crocodog simply was not going to let us sleep more. Crocodog also tried on Sunday but this time, she was more considerate. She let me sleep while she and Sookie played outside and only after they came in, did she come up and Crocodog me. By this point, it was 8:30 a.m. and a far more reasonable time to get up.

All in all, it's been a lazy but relaxing weekend. I think those are obligatory in these lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. It's hot out there again and the heat makes you lethargic. I even attempted to weed my garden and I got too hot and bug-eaten to continue. The puppies are coming in after short bursts outside when, normally, they're content to stay out for ages.

It's supposed to be hot all week again. I'm hoping for a storm because the ground is so dry, it's cracking. Aside from a couple of 'pop-up' showers that we've had, we haven't had any significant rain for almost three weeks. The lawns are yellowing and starting to look dead. While that's not the best way for a lawn to look, it also means the grass isn't growing fast which means I don't have to mow. I always look on the bright side.

Now that the weekend is winding down, it's time to veg with the puppies and enjoy the last remaining hours of freedom before the week days clamp their hold on us and drag us to work to earn our living.

Still, as I always say, at least there's a weekend only five days away. It's just getting through the in-between first. Come on, Friday!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

StatCounter