Monday, October 5, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again..


I have to apologise for the lack of blog updates. I'm normally a little like clockwork, unless I give advance warning, I usually get them out every weekday morning. In this case, it was due to a minor surgical procedure that left me without the energy to actually sit in front of a computer and blog. Not one to dwell on such things, all went fairly well and I shall be back to my normal routine, I hope!

That being said, I had the opportunity last week to do what it is I've truly wanted to do for a while...absolutely nothing. There's something absolutely decadent about not being allowed to do some things because your doctor says so. Thus, being able to take three days off work and not sit at my office desk has been rather a treat indeed.

I'd like to say I spent the three days doing rather productive things: reading, writing, brainstorming...something that marked the fact that I appreciated my time off.

The only thing I can say is...uh, I was on Vicodin. Not a whole lot got done. I did a lot of delicious napping. I'm not sure how anyone can get anything other than that done when on Vicodin, to be honest. I spent a lot of my downtime wondering how Dr. House, a (former) Vicodin junkie on TV managed to be quite so brilliant while under it's influence. He seems to be sharper than ever after popping a couple of pills.

Me, I don't think I could have said the alphabet after that stuff kicked in.

I suppose it did prod parts of my brain that don't normally get prodded. For example, I did manage to come up with a design for a rather lovely set of living room curtains while falling asleep one day. They involve off-white silky fabric, burgundy ribbon and rose petals. I'm hoping that if I attempt to make them, they don't end up turning out like some Flower Girl Dress of Horror but I like them in my head and that's the important thing, right?

I think I also had some odd dreams while I was under the influence of the stuff. At one point, I believe I was singing Karaoke at work. I'm pretty sure this was not a memory even though I am prone to do unusual stuff in my office. I'd like to think if I did sing Karaoke in the office, it'd be only in my head. Unless it was like the chair boogie-ing I do; occasionally I get so into it, I forget there are other people around to witness my flailings. I've learned that if I don't turn the music up too loud, this can be avoided. It's only when I have Green Day's "The Static Age" blaring loudly and I'm at my full boogiest that I forget to pay attention to who might be passing by.

Anyway, I'm back in my office now. I'd like to say "YAY!" but, well, my surgery wasn't on my brain, was it?

Ironically, while I was out of the office, I had my one year anniversary of being employed by this company. I'm sure I'm the only one who noticed. For me, a year is a landmark. I used to be a nine-month sort of employee; I'd do a job for nine months and then get restless. I'm trying hard to not let that happen here but I'm afraid it's too late. I think the only solution is perhaps to learn a new skill so that I can branch out in this job. It's something that I can control, at least and Captain Monkeypants is big on control, if you haven't noticed already.

Still, today is a beautiful day outside. It's full jacket weather out there. We had a frost last week and though the thermometer dipped down last night, it wasn't quite enough to inspire a freeze. My basil and rosemary are thankful. I will bring them in though; they're finicky little plants and I'd rather protect them inside than take a chance on our Indian Summer.

Each day, I see more Autumn adornments popping up in my neighbourhood yards. It seems these days, Halloween decorations are almost as popular as Christmas ones. There are giant inflatable pumpkins, ghosts and ghoolies galore. I like it; it marks the change of season and makes me want to go in, turn on my little electric fire and enjoy the cooler nights.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to get through the day as easily as possible. Not only am I still feeling a little tired from the whole ordeal but it's always hard to get back into the swing of things after a break. Of course, my overflowing email box is going to help me with that. There's some comfort in knowing that no matter how things change, they will always stay the same.

Happy Monday...

No comments:

StatCounter