Tuesday, June 9, 2009

In Which I Attempt to Look Upon my Job with Enthusiasm and Gusto

I'm back in the office today. While I'd love to be overjoyed about that...it's the office. It's hard to be overjoyed about my cubicle. I'm really trying. Sometimes I do thinks like have a mini dance party to try to make it seem more lively but I have to be careful that the people coming down the stairs don't see me. I'm already getting a bit of a reputation for being odd although I think it was phrased more as 'dramatic'.

I'm also horribly afraid that I'm getting a reputation for being a complainer. One of my flaws is that I'm impatient. If I'm supposed to be working on something, I expect those who are supposed to be working with me to work. Unfortunately, that's not always the case so I have to sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to happen. Lately, I seem to have little to do. I'm not bragging about this. I hate not having much to do. I need to be busy, I need to have deadlines otherwise I become a chronic internet surfer. It's not like I haven't tried to find work to do. I told my boss I needed more projects so he gave me one. I finished it.

I'm going to try to focus on the 'busy work' that I have to do. I do have some projects but it's nothing urgent, nothing that people will even notice is getting done.

My problem is that when my mind is not engaged in a project, I surf the internet. A lot. I will be working but I'll also have at least one web window open where I'm researching or reading an article. This is fine provided I'm getting my work done. It's also fine as long as the company president isn't pulling the internet logs. Unfortunately, I heard a rumour he is. If he looks at mine, he might have a fit. I do surf a lot but, in my defense, I'm working at the same time. I just have a touch of ADD when my brain is melting from the dullness of my work.

I'm going to try to throw myself into my busy work with gusto today. We'll see how that works out. I no longer have to run home at lunch to tend to a needy little dog. Who, incidentally, I miss horribly. I complained about him last week but having him around was rather nice and I missed his company last night. It was just so quiet in my flat. My parent's get back tonight so hopefully he can resume his normal pattern of eating and sleeping without too much more upheaval.

On days like this where only mind-numbing duties lie before me, I remind myself how fortunate I am to have a job. I have a paycheck. At the moment, I have a light workload. There are people who would beat me up and sit on me for complaining about something so minor as not having work to do. They'd probably be right. I deserve to be sat on for complaining so much. It's just that I see all the work that needs to get done and I feel like I could help. Yet aside from offering, which I've already done, there's little action I can take without permission.

Thus, I shall now attempt to not compulsively surf the internet and I shall throw myself into my exciting project with full abandon and enthusiasm. And a lot of coffee.

Wish me luck with that.

Happy Tuesday.

No comments:

StatCounter