Friday, May 22, 2009

The Beautiful Promise of a Long Weekend....

At long last it's Friday. Not only that but it's the Friday before a long weekend a fact, for which, I am very thankful. Of course, today also happens to be a major day at work. The software project that I have worked on diligently for the past couple of months is supposed to be released today. This means its all hands on deck until we release it.

In the meantime, however, I'll try to do what I'm told and do what I can and try not to raise any red flags. I find that a safe way to get through the day.

And once I get through the day, the weekend begins. Once more, last night, I discovered my evening time dissolve in front of me even though I tried to make the most of it. I decided last night would be a good time to switch my wardrobe from winter to summer. It was a multi-tasking project because it would also help me figure out what to pack for my trip to Washington D.C. this weekend as well as for me to figure out what still fits.

Sadly, though I used to be a skinny Monkeypants, these days, I cannot brag about that fact any longer. While I'm not heavy by any means, I believe I must surrender to the fact that I am no longer in my twenties and can eat whatever I like while maintaining the silhouette of a stick-insect. These days, what I eat does matter. For the most part, I will say, I'm actually comfortable being a little heavier, being a little curvier. The only time I'm not happy is when I realize that the beloved clothes that I had no problem wearing in my slimmer days no longer fit and I have to find strategic ways to hide the less svelte parts of me. Summer makes this hard. However, while I am determined to continue my exercise program after the trip, I think I must accept that I will most likely never again fit into a size four and must change my perspective to fit what size I really am.

Last night, I found several pairs of trousers and shorts that I no longer fit into or, if I do, probably shouldn't. I also found several tops that will no longer suit me because I felt a little like the Michelin Tire Man. I could get depressed about this. I thought about getting depressed about it. Then I thought about what to have for dinner and the urge passed. For the most part, Michelin Tire Man aside, I do have plenty of clothes to get me through the summer.

That's the nice part of a wardrobe switchover; it's almost like shopping in your own closet for a while. You remember items of clothing that you bought and forgot about. You realize you have a pair of flip-flops to match almost every piece of clothing, sandals for most. It's a lovely feeling to look at the lighter, thinner closet and not see the heavy fabrics of winter wear anymore.

Don't get me wrong, when I switch back in the Autumn, I'll go through this again. I'll feel like I get to shop in my own closet again. It helps that I'm a bargain shopper and at the end of the season, I'll find items that have been ridiculously marked down because the season is over. I buy these clothes and then, when the season rolls around the next year, it's like a present to myself. At the end of the winter, for example, I found two lovely sweaters on sale from the original price of $30 to a lovely $3. I wore these sweaters once this year. Next year, they'll be staples of my wardrobe.

Today is the first day I've dressed in proper spring attire for work. We're a casual bunch- t-shirts and jeans are acceptable. Yet I like dressing up a little, wearing a skirt and sandals, for example. I find that it makes me feel better, even when I'm not having the best day. I'm hoping today isn't going to be like that, that it's going to be a good day where things run smoothly, our software gets released and I can go home and relax in the knowledge I did my part of the work, even if, as part of a team, I'm just a bit player.

And, if it doesn't go well, I have the prospect of a lovely trip to Washington D.C. to spend with my best friend to cheer me up. I can't think of anything better.

Happy Friday and have a great weekend.

Ps. I'll try to blog next week while I'm away but if I don't get a chance, I'll be back on Wednesday.

No comments:

StatCounter